Sunday, August 15, 2010

Counting My Days Down

After submitting my loan application to UofB at the beginning of July, I got official notice last Monday (three weeks later) that I did, in fact, receive the loan I asked for and it would be, in fact, the amount required to send my back across the pond. There was, as you might imagine, some celebrating.

The visa application has been relatively straight forward thus far. I applied online and have a biometrics appointment for Friday (retinal scan, photo and fingerprints...God help me if I ever decide to commit some kind of crime, because I am an incredibly documented individual) and then I submit everything through snail mail to the NY consulate. I think this "everything" includes the appendix for students, done in hard copy, but I'm a little unclear. I feel like that should have been done online as well, but I can't find the link. Fingers crossed, I guess?

EDIT 8/22/10: Much to my disappointment, there was NO RETINAL SCAN. How am I supposed to feel like I'm in a high-tech spy thriller without one? Also, the appendix to the visa application is, in fact, done manually and sent in by snail mail.

Have spent today trying to put my rooms in order and when I was tidying the bathroom I saw the toiletries case I only use for long trips and it struck me I was going to be packing it soon. There is always a moment when the theoretical becomes reality, and this was that moment. I'm going to have to pack, I'm going to have to get on a plane, I'm going to have to do it all over again. It's somewhat less scary this time around, because there is structure and people to go back to, but it's still incredibly daunting when thought about as an overall life change.

50 days until classes start.

1 comment:

  1. Oh if this was a facebook status I would LIKE LIKE LIKE!!

    x

    ReplyDelete