Sunday, August 14, 2011

The More Loving One

The skies here are consistently the most stunning blues I have ever seen. They are breathtaking.

I know it sounds weird, but I cannot tell you how much I love the sky, and how wonderful it is to live in a place where it's such a large part of the landscape and is so beautiful, all the time.

This does not count as a real post, and so I apologize. To make up for it, I will leave you with one of my favorite poems:

The More Loving One
W. H. Auden


Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.


How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me.


Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.


Were all stars to disappear or die,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total dark sublime,
Though this might take me a little time.

1 comment:

  1. I think you share a bit with your dad who loves clouds.

    ReplyDelete