Friday, February 7, 2014

That Time She Had Cancer

I have two blog spots I've been writing in my head—one on the Superbowl and one on Philip Seymour Hoffman—that will, hopefully, be published at some point (even if far past the moment of relevance), but I wanted to be sure to share a project one of my nearest and dearest has started. Anyone who knows me knows Jacey in some way, shape, or form. We are sorority sisters, were college roommates, went to DisneyWorld, danced in the LES PathMark at 1am, debated everything from the relative merits of 'Grey's Anatomy' seasons to politics and religion. She is one of the most wonderful people I have ever met, and is a hugely important part of my life.

To say this past year has been rough for Jacey is a gross understatement, and the icing on the cake came when she received a breast cancer diagnosis last fall. My visit to New York was the first time I had seen her since finding out, and I wondered who would greet me when I finally trundled off the F train. Would she be tired? Discouraged? Drained? Would it be one of those awkward meetings, full of forced conversation because what the hell do you say?

My worries were completely unfounded. Though there were moments where one could see the effects of a truly impossible year, she was not beaten. In fact, if it wasn't for her good-natured reminders of her diagnosis as a motivational tool ("Can you take the garbage out? I have cancer."), it would have been almost impossible to recognize there may be anything amiss other than the usual pressure of throwing an excellent holiday party. Her trademark wit and humor remained in tact, and she was nothing if not the energetic, determined, sparkling, warm best friend I have been privileged to know since 2005.

And she remains so, channeling her experiences into a new project which chronicles her experiences and gives support for others with similar stories. There is a website (http://www.thattimeihadcancer.com) and a vlog (http://www.youtube.com/thattimeihadcancer) and I highly encourage you to watch, subscribe, share, and support her as she tells her story. You will be doing yourself a favor, as anyone who knows Jacey is better for it.

I know I certainly am.

<3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment