Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Best Part of Waking Up

Life is full of firsts. First time you lose a tooth, ride a bike, your first kiss, etc. And they don't end. It's not like at 18, or 21 or some other arbitrary-but-still-lowish number they just stop. No, my friends. We continually have firsts to experience.

Like today. Today, I made my first pot of coffee by myself.

This is your cue to be astonished. Not by the realization of my long dormant barista skills, but by the fact I have lived a quarter of a century on this planet—half of that as a huge caffeine junkie–and never made coffee without supervision. I had held internships, actual jobs, planned huge events, hosted dinner parties and yet! Coffee makers of all kinds were a mystery to me. It just was never part of my daily duties and, when it was, it went something like this:

"So just make a couple of pots of coffee and..."
"Can you show me?"
"...you don't know ow to make coffee?"
"Nope, don't really drink it at home."
"Sure, here *does all the steps quickly.* So, we can use this pot now, and then next time, you'll know."

Problem was, "next time" always came at least a year and a new job later, which meant anything I had managed to learn was replaced in my brain with Miley Cyrus lyrics or trivia about 'Holiday Inn' or some such.* It's like that old saying: If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, etc. People kept giving me fish. Cups and cups of hot, strong, delicious fish (with milk).

But not anymore! Today, armed only with a French press bequeathed to me by my friend Anne, some ground coffee and WikiHow article, I brewed my very own cup of coffee. For me. By myself.

It's like I'm actually an adult or something!

Next step? Learning to drink coffee that isn't chocolate caramel flavored....shhhh...



*Legend has it that Fred Astaire had a drink of bourbon before each take of the drunken New Year's dance. The one used in the film is take seven.


No comments:

Post a Comment