Friday, October 7, 2011

Fall(ing) in Love Again

Went over to Matt's tonight to dog sit Mickey while Matt acted in Hamlet and, on the walk home, it struck me that fall has truly arrived. It wasn't the fact that I had to wear a coat or that leaves are falling so much as that incredibly distinctive smell of cold, wood burning and something else....I can't quite put my finger on it, but it speaks to hot drinks and blankets and sweaters and the approaching holidays. I know spring is supposed to be the season of youthful romance, and summer brings with it those 'Summer Nights', but fall has always been the time of year when I feel most affectionate. There's something about the cold that makes me want to spend the weekend curled up on the couch with someone in a way no other season does...Chris Evans, maybe?

Yesterday was my first real day of activity since coming home. Thursday seminars have started up again, and so after a Pub lunch I went to hear Prof. History give a lecture on possible home improvements made to Shakespeare's properties during his lifetime. The Institutes's historical area is concentrated on material culture. I would never consider studying it myself, just because that's not where my interest lies, but I find lectures regarding the subject to be some of the most interesting of those I've heard since coming to England. The play reading of the evening was Antonio and Mellida, and, while the experience of play reading is always enjoyable, I'm not sure this one is going on my top ten list.

Remainders:

  • Potentially have an interview on Tuesday to be an usher at the Company? I really, really want this job, so keep your fingers crossed.
  • Red and I didn't get the play we bid, but it works out a bit better this way. I could really use the time freed up and I'm looking forward to seeing The Changeling. Besides, hopefully, we can bid again.
  • Send mail! I love getting it and it makes me better about sending it. Also, miss you all.
  • If you're looking for something to listen to, Laura Marling at 6th and I is pretty great.


No comments:

Post a Comment