Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Book of Job

Yesterday I had an interview at the Company to work as a front of house assistant. Out of all the entry level, somewhat-not-real-person jobs I've held in my young life, FOH was probably my favorite? It was up there, at any rate. I had a few really good friends, the responsibilities are straight forward and relatively easy to do (and do well), I  like seeing how theaters operate and I got to see a lot of shows for free. Well, okay, I got to see four shows a thousand times each for free, but with Shakespeare, that's fantastic. Also, I like customer service. I know it sounds corny, but it's really satisfying to help people and make their experience better, especially knowing how much the customer service I receive affects me. Gives me the warm and fuzzies (as well as a much needed paycheck). Everyone wins!

This was my third interview for a FOH position (the last ones being during London2) and the fourth time I had to a do a group interview. Group interviews, I have found, are terrifying. I over think everything I do in a way I don't when talking individually with someone. There's the constant pressure of trying to be confident/outspoken/friendly without being pushy/loud/domineering and interacting awkwardly with your competition in front of your potentially bosses is a particularly tricky kind of meet-and-greet.

That said, yesterday was actually pretty painless. The group part of the group interview was smaller and we did get a chance to answer some interview questions one-on-one. They are hiring for part-time/more casual work, which fits me perfectly, and I didn't push anyone down the stairs or faint from nerves, so I think I did okay? Then again, the group dynamic also makes it difficult to accurately assess one's own performance, so who knows! Hopefully I will find out in the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. oooh, I didn't realize there were so many post to catch up with. Glad to hear you're settling in and, of course, sending good karma your way for the job.
    LYMY

    ReplyDelete